Senator Has Fought to Make Workers, Families a Priority for Tax Reform
As the U.S. Senate prepares to take up the Senate GOP tax reform proposal, Ohio U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown continued his call for tax reform that gives a tax cut to working Ohio families Wednesday on CNN.
“If you want to cut taxes on the middle class, cut taxes on the middle class,” Brown told CNN.
Brown has offered to work with President Trump and members of Congress on tax reform that focuses on cutting taxes for middle class families and rewarding corporations that keep jobs in the U.S. Last month, Brown met with President Trump and a bipartisan group of Senators to discuss tax reform, and just this week Brown met with top officials to continue the conversation.
At the October meeting at the White House, Brown gave the President copies of two tax bills, and the President expressed support for the ideas and interest in working together. Both of Brown’s bills have overwhelming support from the Democratic caucus, making them key to any bipartisan tax reform plan.
The bills include:
• Brown’s Working Families Tax Relief Act expands access to and increases the value of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), to ensure that no worker can be taxed into poverty by the federal tax system and working parents receive the support they need. Ivanka Trump has repeatedly supported refundable tax credits for working families, particularly a modest expansion of the CTC. Forty-six Democrats support Brown’s bill, showing it is key to any bipartisan package.
• Brown’s Patriot Employers Tax Credit would reward employers who keep jobs in the United States and pay workers well – encouraging them to create even more good-paying jobs in the U.S. Forty-seven Senators voted for Brown’s bill during consideration of the budget last month, showing it is key to any bipartisan package. President Trump suggested he would support a bill like Brown’s in a recent interview with Forbes.
“If we are going to give tax cuts to corporations, let’s focus those tax cuts on employers that keep jobs in the U.S. and invest in American workers with the Patriot Corporation Act,” Brown said. “This is something we should all come together to support: tax cuts for businesses that create and support good-paying American jobs.”
Brown has been sticking up for working Ohioans through this whole Trump Tax Scam debacle.
Earlier this month, Brown slammed the proposal for its impacts on the Affordable Care Act.
In a release, Brown said he was fighting against efforts to pay for tax cuts for corporations that ship jobs overseas by repealing a cornerstone of the ACA, known as the ‘individual mandate.’ News broke Nov. 14 that Senate Republicans planned to slip the healthcare provision into a last minute update to the tax reform bill expected late tonight.
According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), repealing the individual mandate would:
• Cause 13 million people to lose their insurance;
• Raise health insurance premiums by about 10 percent; and
• Provide Senate Republicans with $338 billion that currently goes toward helping working families afford their health insurance to help offset their proposed tax cuts for corporations.
The updated tax bill is expected to use the $338 billion from taking away health insurance subsidies to help pay for tax cuts for corporations, including those that outsource American jobs. An expert tax witness confirmed to Brown that the current tax bill encourages corporations to send jobs overseas.
“Tax reform should be about cutting taxes for working families, not raising the cost of their health insurance,” Brown said. “It’s outrageous that Senators, whose own healthcare is paid for by American taxpayers, would try to take healthcare away from working families in order to cut taxes on corporations that send jobs overseas.”
Categories2018 2020 Activism Budget Civil Rights Congressional Races Economy ECOT Education Environment Fair Elections Federal Governor's Race Governor DeWine Guns Health ICYMI Justice Labor LGBT Ohio Legislature Ohio Legislature Plunderbund Plunderbund Action Portman Presidential Safety Senate Race State State Government Statehouse Races Statehouse Races Swing State Voices Taxes and Spending Trump Women's Rights