The Akron Beacon Journal/Ohio.com Editorial Board on Sunday went off on ECOT and the politicians who let the e-charter school bilk taxpayers out of $80 million.
“All of this could have been avoided if the state had been watchful and responsive from the start, when ECOT opened in 2000. Unfortunately, the state waited until 2016. And when it finally got serious about looking behind the curtain? It found more than the school’s already evident record of poor academic performance. It discovered nothing less than financial fraud,” the board wrote in the scathing editorial.Full Story... →
The Ohio Democratic Party issued a press release Thursday evening slamming Ohio Republican politicians who enabled the ECOT scandal to get out of hand, and calling on politicians who received donations from the private, for-profit charter school while failing to hold ECOT accountable to donate those donations to public schools.
The release is shared below:
The news tonight that the Electronic Classroom Of Tomorrow is likely shutting down Friday marks a shameful end for the corrupt e-charter whose schoolchildren and families will now face chaos and uncertainty mid-year as a result of ECOT’s […]Full Story... →
Former U.S. Congressman and candidate for Ohio Auditor of State Zack Space today released the following statement following reports that the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow (ECOT) may permanently close as soon as next week:
“From the beginning, the true victims of the ECOT farce have been Ohio children. The reports that ECOT may permanently close will again harm those same children, whose educational future is now unclear. No Ohio child or their family should ever know that fear and uncertainty. I am hopeful that the General Assembly, the Ohio Department […]Full Story... →
The Ohio Republican Party claimed in an email last weekend that Auditor Dave Yost “has never let politics creep into his office,” of course neglecting to mention Yost’s utter failure to crack down on the Electronic Classroom Of Tomorrow. In recent years, ECOT has bilked Ohio taxpayers out of $80 million while executives and affiliated companies donated thousands to Yost.
“After an ECOT whistleblower claimed wrongdoing, Yost’s office concluded that everything was OK. We now know that ECOT’s attendance books were cooked in 2015 and 2016, and that Yost has received at least $29,000 […]Full Story... →
Findlay Courier: “Estruth Said the DeWine/Husted Ticket Can’t Win the November General Election”
The Republican primary for Ohio governor continues to be a nasty race to the right, as Mary Taylor and her running mate, Nathan Estruth, slammed Mike DeWine for refusing to debate and predicted the DeWine-Husted ticket “can’t win the November general election.”
“The first day of Mary Taylor running head-to-head with Mike DeWine in the Ohio Republican primary for governor is just the latest example of how this race is shaping up as a desperate race to the extreme right,” said […]Full Story... →
Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley today announced that she is withdrawing from the race for Ohio Governor and endorsing former Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Director Richard Cordray for the Democratic nomination.
“I got in this race because I truly believe that Ohio is at a critical moment in time, and our state needs to move forward in bold, new ways,” said Mayor Whaley. “The GOP has been recycling bad ideas in Columbus for 25 years, and it’s time for a better future.”
During Mayor Whaley’s eight-month campaign, she has pushed proposals that reflect the priorities of everyday Ohioans, including expanding access […]Full Story... →
Democratic Candidate for Ohio Attorney General Steve Dettelbach issued the following statement after news that the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow could shut its doors as soon as next week:
“The damage done by ECOT and the career politicians who enabled its scam keeps piling up. Taxpayers are out tens of millions of dollars — or more — that was meant for Ohio kids. Now there are now potentially thousands of students and families who might not have a school next week. We cannot allow ECOT and its owners — and the politicians who enabled […]Full Story... →
Ohio’s 2018 Democratic Secretary of State candidate Kathleen Clyde on Wednesday announced two new bills that would secure Ohio’s elections from cyber hacking and foreign interference by making sure every voter’s ballot is counted and protected.
“The machinery of our American democracy was attacked in 2016, and urgent bipartisan action is needed to protect our voting systems,” Clyde said. “At this crucial time, we need to invest in the strength of our democracy by upgrading to voting machines and systems that will allow us to conduct secure elections that can withstand foreign attack.”
A January […]Full Story... →
State Rep. John Becker is planning another round of attacks on unions and workers. If successful, it would effectively shut down both public and private sector unions in Ohio.
Becker outlined his plan in a recent co-sponsor letter, describing six constitutional amendments that he would like to put in front of Ohio voters. The amendments read like a Christmas wish list for the anti-union crowd:
implement so-called “right-to-work” laws for the private and public sector repeal prevailing wage laws prohibit government employers from withholding union dues prohibit unions from spending on political activities prohibit contracts that require union labor require […]Full Story... →
Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel picked up two new endorsements this week in his race to unseat Ohio U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown in the upcoming 2018 Ohio Sentate race. Given Mandel’s Trump-like campaign strategy, it shouldn’t come as any surprise that one came from a Breitbart writer and the other from a well known white nationalist.
Earlier this month we reported that Mike Cernovich and Jack Posobiec, the guys behind the Hillary Clinton Pizza-Gate conspiracy theory, were starting a super PAC called Revolution 18 to support Mandel. Mandel defended Cernovich back in July on Twitter during a dispute with the Anti-Defamation League. The Full Story... →
Like many politicians, Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien uses his Twitter account to post information about the cases his office is working on, the deer in his backyard, political events and even family vacation selfies. But a quick look at the things Republican Prosecutor O’Brian’s account “likes” on Twitter tells a whole different story.
Spoiler: Someone really likes porn!
On July 9th, 2014 O’Brien’s twitter account liked an article on Huffington Post titled “Monogamy not your thing? here’s why you consider an open relationship.”
In January of this year the account liked a tweet by an adult entertainment […]Full Story... →
Categories2018 Activism Budget Civil Rights Congressional Races Economy ECOT Education Environment Fair Elections Federal Governor's Race Guns Health ICYMI Justice Labor LGBT Ohio Legislature Plunderbund Plunderbund Action Portman Safety Senate Race State Statehouse Races Statehouse Races Swing State Voices Taxes and Spending Trump Women's Rights