Politico reports today that Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton is planning to headline a fundraiser in D.C. this coming Monday for Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel. Cotton will be joined by Florida Senator Marco Rubio and a long list of Washington insiders and lobbyists.
Mandel lost his first bid for US Senate four years ago when he failed to unseat Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown. In December Mandel officially kicked off his second campaign for the same seat by co-opting the same strategy that Trump used to win Ohio by 8 points last year. In his campaign kickoff video Mandel vowed to “drain the swamp” in DC and to fix the “rigged system.”
Mandel has also adopted Trump’s anti-immigrant and Islamophobic talking points, which makes kooky Cotton a good fit for Mandel.
But on that swamp draining stuff? Yeah. Not so much.
Also hosting the fundraiser:
- Rob Chamberlain, voted one of the top lobbyists in DC in 2015 and 2016.
- Lobbyist Kirk Blalock who served under President George W. Bush as Special Assistant to the President.
- Jennifer Higgins, a “seasoned healthcare lobbyist”
- Matt Keelen, a ” lobbyist & political strategist with over twenty years experience.”
- And Cesar Conda, a former lobbyist who “was the domestic policy chief adviser to Vice President Dick Cheney.”
“Most people think Washington is broken, but really it’s just a rigged system,” Mandel said in his campaign kickoff video. “The politicians and their cronies get rich while the middle class struggles.”
Here’s a picture of the invite to Mandel’s DC fundraiser with some of the richest cronies in town.