Trump’s Education Secretary pick Betsy DeVos believes the public common school system is a failure. See a November 23 Edweek article.
All Children Matter Inc., once directed by DeVos, owes $5.3 million to the Ohio Elections Commission due to violations of Ohio campaign finance laws in 2008. (A campaign money laundering scheme) See November 24 Dispatch article. Also see the November 23 Detroit Free Press editorial by Stephen Henderson.
Edd Doerr, President, Americans for Religious Liberty, indicates that in 2000 DeVos and her husband supported a constitutional amendment in Michigan to allow tax aid to private schools via vouchers. In that case, Michigan voters turned down the proposal by 69% to 31%. In similar referenda across the nation in the last 50 years, vouchers, tax credits and other similar devices have been defeated by an average 2 to 1 margin.
As has been stated in this post numerous times, traditional public education communities can expect no assistance from Washington DC in the battle to maintain and preserve public education. It seems the federal government will continue the effort to privatize public education.
William L. Phillis, Ohio Coalition for Equity & Adequacy of School Funding
- ECOT Lies About Ohio Department Of Education In New Commercials
- Plunderbund Sues Kasich’s Education Department Over Charter School Scandal Records
- Ohio Department of Education Requests Extensive ECOT Financials As Part Of Lawsuit
- Ohio Department of Education Responds to ECOT Lawsuit
- The Truth About The Kasich Education Record – The Plunderbund Podcast Tackles Education In Ohio