This weekend, Gabby Giffords and her 2016 Vocal Majority Tour comes to Ohio, a news release announced today.
The Vocal Majority Tour is a six-week, nationwide bus tour to battleground states urging Americans to vote for pro-gun violence prevention candidates this November, it said.
Ohio will be the fifth state on the tour, and is just one component of the 2016 Vocal Majority Campaign to make this election year a referendum on gun violence prevention, the release said.
Along with the nationwide bus tour, the campaign also includes making significant investments in races and ballot initiatives across the country to support pro-gun violence prevention candidates and responsible ballot initiatives, it said.
Local elected officials in Toledo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus will join forces with the Vocal Majority Tour to stand up and speak out against the gun violence crisis that claims 91 lives each day.
Led by former U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, and her husband, Navy Combat Veteran and retired NASA Astronaut Mark Kelly, the Vocal Majority Tour is a project of their national organization, Americans for Responsible Solutions PAC.
A victim of gun violence, Giffords survived an assassination attempt in 2011 near Tucson, Arizona, at a Safeway supermarket where she was meeting publicly with constituents. She will make two appearances on the tour in Ohio, both in Cleveland.
Here is the schedule provided in the release for events The Vocal Majority Tour will host throughout the state this weekend:
- October 8, 2016: Toledo Ohio, UAW Local 12, 10 a.m. with Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, Mayor Paula Hicks-Hudson, and Toledo City Council President Steve Steel.
- October 8, 2016: Cleveland Ohio, Lakewood Field Office 2 p.m. with Gabrielle Giffords, U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown, U.S. Senate candidate Ted Strickland and state Senate candidate Emily Hagan.
- October 8, 2016: Cleveland, Ohio, 3:30 p.m., Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and U.S. Senate candidate Ted Strickland will host a roundtable discussion with community leaders. The event will be open to press, but not the general public.
- October 9, 2016: Cincinnati, Ohio, City Hall, 10 a.m. with state Sen. Cecil Thomas and City Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld.
- October 9, 2016: Dayton, Ohio, Fifth-Third Park, 2 p.m. with Commissioner Jeffrey Mims and Doctors for America’s Donald Nguyen.
- October 10, 2016: Columbus, Ohio, 225 E. Broad St, 10:30 a.m. with U.S. Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, Ted Strickland, state Senator Charleta Tavares and state Senate candidate Cathy Johnson.
- Bill Clinton Exhorts Young People To Vote During Bus Tour
- Strickland Touts Appalachian Roots During Tour Of Southeast Ohio
- Rob Portman’s Gun Vote Adds Ammo For Ted Strickland
- Exclusive: New Poll Shows Large Majority Of Ohioans Support Closing ‘Terror Gap’ Gun Loophole
- Has PG Sittenfeld Already Abandoned His Latest Gun Proposal?