This is a critical week in the Ohio Legislature. The House Finance Committee is set to vote tomorrow to pass the mid-biennium budget bill (HB487) out of committee . On Wednesday, the full House of Representatives is set to vote.
Below is an action alert from our friends at Planned Parenthood featuring easy steps you can take.
There is an amendment to the Budget revision in the Ohio House that would eliminate funding from Planned Parenthood. If it were to pass, women would lose access to critical services such as STD testing, sex education, breast cancer screenings, birth control, and even funds for domestic violence.
We need to take action. Here are just a few things that you can do:
- Come to the finance committee hearing tomorrow (4/24) at 1:30 in Room 313 of the Statehouse. Wear pink!
- There will likely be a vote in the full House of Representatives on Wednesday at 1:30. Come to the House Chamber in the Statehouse and wear pink if you can. House sessions are streamed online at ohiochannel.org if you can’t attend.
- Call your legislator and tell them you oppose defunding Planned Parenthood, find their phone number here: http://bit.ly/WiLTr
- Write a letter to the editor about the importance of Planned Parenthood and send it to your local newspaper!
- Come to the Unite Women Phonebank at 5:00 at 206 E. State St.Columbus! Info here: http://www.facebook.com/events/274872012601614/
- Attend Ohio Unite Against the War on Women on Saturday at the statehouse at 10am. Info here: https://www.facebook.com/events/307330772665316/. There is also a rally taking place in Cleveland. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/279321978812338/.
- Spread this information to everybody you know and get others to take action!
- Let us know if you have a story about how the organization has helped you and would like to share
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more info or to RSVP!
Consider sharing a link to this post or cut and pasting the above into a Facebook status message and encourage your friends to join the fight.
As mentioned above, there are rallies planned in both Columbus and Cleveland on Saturday 4/28. These have actually been in the works for a couple of months, but the Ohio GOP has really put the issue on the front burner. Everyone should consider attending. There is an opportunity to volunteer phone-banking and sign painting in preparation for the rally this Tuesday night for those of you in Columbus.
Categories2018 2020 Activism Budget Civil Rights Congressional Races Economy ECOT Education Environment Fair Elections Federal Governor's Race Governor DeWine Guns Health ICYMI Justice Labor LGBT Ohio Legislature Ohio Legislature Plunderbund Plunderbund Action Portman Presidential Safety Senate Race State State Government Statehouse Races Statehouse Races Swing State Voices Taxes and Spending Trump Women's Rights