June kicked off with Greg testifying before the Ohio Senate on teacher retesting provisions in the budget and the millions of dollars it could cost teachers.
The month ended with June’s top story and the most popular post of the year: the DUI arrest of State Rep Robert Mecklenborg and the exclusive Plunderbund revelation that the young lady with whom he was arrested likely worked at the nearby strip club (the stripper story was actually the top story of the entire year!)
In between, lots of other exciting stuff also happened:
- We Are Ohio turned in nearly 1.3 Million signatures to get the SB5 referendum on the ballot.
- Obama beat Kasich on the golf course.
- Ohio Senate Republicans tried to circumvent Ohio’s constitutional minimum wage requirements.
- SB5-Author Shannon Jones tweeted about her disdain for work and her love of “‘ritas”.
- Ken Blackwell claimed watching Elmo can lead boys to grow up to be gay prom queens.
- People started talking about compromise as it started to become clear that Kasich and his pals had absolutely no chance of winning a referendum vote on SB5.
- Kasich and Republicans in the legislature strengthened their attacks on Women’s reproductive rights.
- Public records revealed that Bob Evans never had an offer letter to leaving us wondering why they were given $8 Million in incentives to move their headquarters 20 miles from Columbus to New Albany.
- And John Kasich paid a consultant $15 Million to help strike a deal with casinos and racetracks that ended up bringing in $215 Million LESS than the deal Governor Strickland proposed, effectively screwing the state out of nearly a quarter of a Billion dollars in a deal the conservative-leaning American Policy Roundtable called “political corruption”
For Republican legislators in Ohio, June’s legal problems turned out to be just to be just the beginning of their troubles. July found them facing full-on political disaster as the Mecklenborg scandal blew up nationally and two other well-known Republicans found themselves in drunken run-ins with the law…
Categories2018 Activism Budget Civil Rights Congressional Races Economy ECOT Education Environment Fair Elections Federal Governor's Race Governor DeWine Guns Health ICYMI Justice Labor LGBT Ohio Legislature Plunderbund Plunderbund Action Portman Safety Senate Race State State Government Statehouse Races Statehouse Races Swing State Voices Taxes and Spending Trump Women's Rights